Equality Objectives 2023 – 2027
Highfield Nursery School is committed to meeting its public sector duties and acknowledges that we have a statutory duty to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Promote equality of access and opportunity within our school and within our wider community.
- Promote positive attitudes to difference and good relationships between people with different backgrounds, genders, cultures, faiths, abilities and ethnic origins.
1. Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
The child’s voice is developed within the delivery of the Early Years curriculum.
Review how we consult with children in relation to children having a greater influence in determining their learning journeys.
- Every child has an individualised learning journey that is carefully planned and monitored
- Reflective practices maximise the potential for staff to observe and listen to children.
- Parent and child questionnaires are used to enable children to share their views and influence change.
2. Advance equality of opportunity between people
Robust systems for monitoring pupil progress in place and monitored regularly.
To support and broaden opportunities for vulnerable families.
- Monitoring ensures that all children are supported to meet learning milestones.
- Groups and individuals at risk of underachievement are swiftly identified and interventions planned.
3. Foster good relations between people
To develop children's understanding of tolerance and respect for others.
- The curriculum is rich in opportunities for children to learn about others within the world around them and the world beyond
- Children are kind and considerate, displaying an understanding and respect for themselves and others.
The Accessibility plans are written with each new intake and are updated termly with regard to individual children. To view one of our blank accessibility plans please see the SEND Policy on our policies page. Our completed accessibility plans are held by the SENDCo on the premises.
- At Highfield our premises consists of one large play environment, adjoining children’s toilets, a reception/cloakroom area and a large enclosed garden. In addition, we have a pond area and meadow. All areas of our setting are accessible to wheelchair users and those with mobility difficulties
- Furniture is arranged to accommodate children with mobility difficulties, and the height of tables, sand and water trays can be adjusted if necessary
- Our indoor-outdoor play environment features soft mats for children to sit on
- We have access to a fully equipped disabled toilet and shower room
- Access to information is shared on ‘a need to know basis’ with regard to safeguarding requirements. Parent partnership is valued and information is shared regularly. Parents/carers are signposted to facilities and services.
- Access to curriculum is provided through individual learning and the use of support aids, such as visual timetables when necessary.